What should I include in my daily skin care routine?
WHAT SHOULD I INCLUDE IN MY DAILY SKIN CARE ROUTINE?
THE BEST DAILY SKIN CARE ROUTINE FOR HEALTHY SKIN
The alarm goes off. It’s time to head to your gym class. You arrive home from the gym, jump in the shower, and give your face a quick wash. Apply some moisturiser before your make-up for the day, and that’s your daily skin care routine, done! Who has time each morning and night to include anything else in? But if you’d like to have healthy, glowing skin, then it is important to develop a daily skin care routine at home. With a few simple steps, you can develop a good skin care routine, that you can easily schedule into your day. Let’s take a look at the essential products to include in your daily skin care routine, which will work together to give you skin you’ll love.
DEVELOPING A DAILY SKIN CARE ROUTINE AT HOME
While it can seem time consuming to develop a daily skin care routine at home, using the right products together can have amazing benefits for your skin. No matter our age, most people would like to slow down the ageing process and keep those wrinkles and fine lines at bay. Developing a great skincare routine provides wonderful benefits for your skin and is also a great way to take some time out for yourself each day. (And it’s even better when followed by a delicious healthy breakfast and maybe a sneaky cup of coffee too). Let’s look at what you should include in your daily skin care routine
DAILY SKIN CARE ROUTINE
1. Wash your face with a cleanser A cleanser is an essential part of a good skin care routine. It helps to wash away any impurities, dirt or make-up that if left on your skin, can lead to clogged pores and dull skin. At night, you may like to do a double cleanse. Why? To remove any make-up, and to give your skin an extra deep clean. It also helps to remove any other dirt, pollutants or impurities that you may have encountered during your busy day!
2. Use a toner After cleansing, it is important to include a toner as part of your daily skincare routine. A toner can add vital ingredients back into your skin, leaving it feeling replenished immediately after cleansing. Using a toner in your skin care routine also removes any last traces of makeup that may have been missed in the cleansing process. Toning your skin also assists in diminishing the look of redness and dry patches and if you have oily skin can also assist with minimised pores.
3. Apply an eye cream or serum If you’re hoping to help soften and reduce the visible signs of ageing, using an eye cream or serum as part of your daily skin care routine is essential. Our eyes can tell our story, and while wrinkles are a natural part of ageing, we can assist in reducing fine lines and wrinkles by including an eye cream or serum. They assist in making the area around your eyes smooth, soft and plump.
4. Moisturise your skinf The next step in your skin care routine is the use of a moisturiser. Your skin loves to be hydrated, and when it becomes dry, it can accentuate any fine lines, wrinkles or other blemishes on your skin. A day time moisturiser is usually more lightweight, so that it doesn’t feel too heavy when wearing underneath your make-up. During Winter you may like to use an extra-hydrating moisturiser, to ensure you lock in the moisture and keep your skin feeling soft, smooth and supple. Winter weather and cool winds can be harsh on your skin, and your face is usually the most exposed.
5. Apply sunscreen The last step in your morning skin care routine is to apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen (SPF 30+ or higher). Sunscreen should be applied after your moisturiser, but before you apply your make-up. We also recommend that you limit your time in the sun and ensure that you also take other sun safe precautions, due to the damaging UV rays of the sun.
SHOULD MY MORNING AND NIGHT SKIN CARE ROUTINES BE DIFFERENT?
When you look at your skin care routine at night, it should include all the same steps as your morning routine. Where it is different, is that you should use a moisturiser that is specifically for night time use. In the evening you may also like to include an additional serum or anti-ageing skin care product, to treat your skin. Including some extra steps in your daily skin care routine at night is not only easier because you have more time in the evening, but it allows for the products to penetrate your skin overnight while you are sleeping. 6. Apply a night moisturiser before bed A moisturiser used at night is usually a richer, thicker cream when compared to a day time moisturiser. Many night moisturisers also contain additional anti-ageing ingredients to assist the restorative process while you sleep.
EXTRA STEPS TO INCLUDE IN YOUR WEEKLY SKIN CARE ROUTINE
Now that we have your daily skin care routine covered, there are a few extra steps and products to use. Including these additional steps each week will give your face an extra healthy glow.
7. Exfoliate 2-3 times per week Including an exfoliant in your weekly skincare routine assists by removing any dead skin build-up or traces of makeup or impurities. It is recommended to use an exfoliant 2-3 times per week to remove any dead skin cells and eliminating clogged pores or uneven skin tone.
8. Apply a face mask once per week In addition to giving your skin a good exfoliation each week, a face mask can take it to the next level. Including a face mask provides a concentrated, deeper clean. As most face masks require you to leave them on for at least 15-20 mins, they reach deep into your pores, and will remove dirt, bacteria or excess oils that a daily cleanser doesn’t reach. The end result is skin that feels amazing!